Cameron Bancroft has stayed out of the limelight as Australia debates what a World Cup outfit including Steve Smith and David Warner looks like but the most junior member of the banned trio now finds himself in the centre of a bizarre storm.
As he plays for Western Australia in its Sheffield Shield clash against Tasmania in Hobart, Bancroft has made headlines on the other side of the world because of a tense dispute between his state and English county side Durham.
According to a report in UK publication The Telegraph, Durham is blowing up the opening batsman won’t arrive in time for the start of the English domestic season after it signed him to its roster last year.
Instead, Bancroft will miss the season opener against Derbyshire on April 5 because Western Australia reportedly wants him to stay in Perth so he can attend its end-of-season awards dinner.
Durham CEO Tim Bostock said the snub was a slap in the face for the county after it handed Bancroft a lifeline when his reputation was tarnished because of his involvement in the ball tampering scandal in South Africa, which earnt him a nine-month suspension from all international and Australian domestic cricket.
“He was persona non grata when we signed him in July. We took a chance on him and Western Australia and Cricket Australia should recognise that fact,” Bostock said, per The Telegraph.
“He recognises it and has pushed strongly to get here on time.
“We only play two Championship matches before breaking off for a block of 50-over games. Missing one match does not sound like a big deal but those two games are huge for us as we try and start the season well and look for promotion.
“I can understand players missing games for international duty but to miss a game because of an awards dinner is ridiculous.”
English cricket journalist Nick Hoult was scathing of the reasoning for Bancroft missing the first match of the county season, writing: “Counties are often frustrated to lose overseas players to international call-ups but accept that is part of the risk, however, missing a Championship match to attend an awards dinner is a new low.”
Hoult also tweeted: “Hope the food is worth it.”
Bancroft returned to cricket with the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash League (BBL), where he played some crucial innings, including a superb 87 not out against the Sydney Sixers in Perth.
The right-hander, who upon returning from South Africa revealed his biggest frustration was giving someone else a chance to take his spot in the Australian team, will be desperate to wear the baggy green again as he pushes to be included in the Ashes squad heading to England later this year.
Bancroft started sensationally as he rejoined WA’s Shield side after the break for the BBL. He carried his bat and scored 138 not out in the first innings of a four-day match against NSW in Sydney, before backing it up with 86 in the second dig.
He also scored 52 against South Australia the following match but has failed twice against Tasmania, registering 27 and 22.
Source link : https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/cameron-bancroft-reportedly-at-the-centre-of-another-cricket-controversy/news-story/bf32390411cb743689ec5db877915141
Publish date : 2019-03-15 02:16:59