Makhura denies national government put R1.3bn into Alex – The Citizen


Gauteng Premier David Makhura said he would make sure there was an audit of the Alexandra Renewal Project. According to the City of Johannesburg’s website, R1.3 billion was set aside by national government for a project that “aims to improve the physical, social, and economic environment of Alexandra, thereby instilling a culture of civic pride”.

Makhura, however, denied this, saying he “dismisses any notion that national government put billions of rands into the Alexandra Renewal Project”.

Instead, Makhura said the project was funded by the city of Johannesburg and the provincial government of Gauteng.

Makhura also said he would demolish any illegal structures that had been erected in Alex. Protesters have said these structures were among their primary grievances, which led to them attempting to shut down the township.

The premier accepted a memorandum from protesters, which he said was meant for Johannesburg executive mayor Herman Mashaba.

Makhura added that he would brief President Cyril Ramaphosa on the situation in Alex ahead of his planned visit to the township on Thursday.

READ MORE: ‘ANC councillors are the leaders’ of the Alex shutdown – Mashaba

According to IOL, a spokesperson for the protest, Bobby Solomons, said its leaders were happy with Makhura’s vist.

“The issues of mushrooming of illegal structures and land invasion were top of our concerns and we are very glad that Premier Makhura addressed them,” he said, adding that he hoped the premier would pressure the mayor to visit the people of Alex and hear their concerns.

Mashaba, meanwhile, has accused the ANC of orchestrating the shutdown for votes, and has alleged that the shutdown was led by ANC councillors and officials.

The Johannesburg mayor told a press conference this morning that the people of Alex “have been lied to for many years”.

He alleged that government promised money for the Alexandra Renewal Project, which never materialised, saying he asked Makhura as well as former MEC Paul Mashatile about the funding “for over two years”, receiving no answers.

Elsewhere during his address at the press conference, Mashaba alleged that three ANC council members were suspended after “serious misconduct” arising from an Ethics Committee report, and that one of these councillors was now leading the Alex protests.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.



ADVERTISEMENT



Source link : https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa/protests/2114701/makhura-denies-national-government-put-r1-3bn-into-alex/

Author :

Publish date : 2019-04-09 12:34:00

Tags:
share on: